The more people who know about an app, the greater the chances that one of them will download the app.
There are many avenues an Android app can be advertised effectively. Here are some of the more extensively used ones.
Marketplaces for Android apps aside from Google Play:
- MoPub is Twitter's mobile publishing platform.
- Nexage was acquired by Millennial Media as its premium marketplace.
Advertising networks that can be tapped:
- InMobi has a performance-based discovery platform.
- RefMob (RefMobile) allows people to access RefWorks through their mobile devices.
Advertising companies that help developers monetize and promote their apps:
- Google AdMob, the largest in mobile advertising, has an SDK that allows developers to incorporate banners into their apps.
- Millenial Media is reputedly the second largest in America after Google AdMob.
- LeadBolt provides premium advertising that is a step beyond the tradition banner ad (e.g., re-engagement tools, in-app alerts and overlays).
- AirPush makes use of push notifications to get people to opt in.
- InnerActive is an ad exchange focused on native and video ads.
For developing ads in-app:
- SQLite is a self-contained serverless relational database.
- Parse SDK can be used to generate push notifications and other ad functions. It has a paid and a free version.
- ActiveAndroid is used in saving and retrieving SQLite records without the need to write SQLite statements.
- XML, or Extended Markup Language, is basically used in describing data.
- Plist files are actually XML files for storing app data.
To help monetize Android apps, Onix chooses WebView for most integrations. This requires thoughtful layout optimization to increase the app's responsiveness. Additionally, we use advertising network integrators that help speed up the integration process of several advertising providers to ensure ttheir set-up without recompilation of the app.
Click on any of the skills on this page to read more about them.
- Maps and GeolocationGoogle Maps, Google Places, Geocoding/Geoencoding, OSM and GPS Location
- Social ConversationsText Messages/Phone/Mail, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google+ (YouTube), Path, Vine, WhatsApp, WeChat, and Tumblr
- Native TechnologiesAndroid NDK C/C++, Android Media Codec, Android Lolipop Camera, Wi-Fi 3G connection, View and custom viewgroup layout, internationalization and localization, local data storage, Action Bar, NFC, Bluetooth, GMC Push Notification, Multi Fragments application, account management, Widget, Live Wallpapers, Lock screen, Custom keyboard, OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0, Data providers, Renderscript, Speech API, Telephony API, Multi-Touch gestures and Multithreading
- Game/Render EnginesAndEngine, Unity 3D, Rajvali and LibGDX
- AdvertisingMoPub, Nexage, Millenial, InMobi, RefMob, LeadBolt, AdInch, Airpush, InnerActive, InMobi, Google AdMob
- Android Data AccessSharing data between apps with intents and receiver, Contacts (address book), Photos and Videos on device, Calendar and Reminders/Alerts
- NetworkingP2P, Sockets, RSS and Networking Frameworks (Android Http client, Turboimage, Android query, Android Async client, Volley, DataDroid, GreenDroid, Parse SDK, Cisco ipSec VPN)
- Android NDKlibJpeg, libPng, ffmpeg, 3d math matrix, Pthread, VLC and Android ADT
- External HardwareNFC, Arduino, Bluetooth, USB Host, Action camera, Drones and Wi-Fi
- In-App PurchasesAndroid Google API payments, PayPal, LiqPay, Yandex payments, Open IAB and Amazon payments
- VideoMedia Player Framework, Ffpmeg Player Framework, GoPro, video filtering, video encoding/decoding and Video streaming (RTMP, RTSP, HLS)
- AnalyticsFlurry, Amplitude, Kahuna, Google Analytics and Crashlytics
- AudioMediaPlayer, OpenSL, MediaTrack, Audio generation, Audio Filtering and SoundPool
- GraphicsAndroid Canvas, Matrix, GPU Render, GL Surface and OpenCV
- DistributingCrashlytics Beta, Android Market Alpha/Beta