One of the first things that attracts people to an app is the graphics. This includes not just a pleasing overall appearance but also a user interface that is conveniently organized. Most drawing technologies today are founded on Open GL and QuartzCore, with the exception of UIKit.
Thus, the three high-level frameworks used in almost all graphics programming are the UIKit Framework, Core Graphics Framework and QuartzCore Framework.
Here are brief descriptions of the tools commonly used in iOS development of graphics.
- UIKit graphics allow the user to draw directly on the screen; it is also capable of PDF graphics contexts and offscreen drawing.
- Quartz 2D, as the name implies, is for 2D drawing.
- Core Graphics is for low level 2D drawing using Quartz.
- Core Image is an API used for applying filters and effects in the QuartzCore Framework.
- Core Animation is an API of the QuartzCore Framework.
- Open GL ES is an infrastructure for drawing code.
- GLKit eliminates the need for setup and maintenance code when using Open GL ES content.
- SpriteKit is a framework for making 2D games.
- GPUImage is for image and video processing using the GPU.
- OpenCV is a library of algorithms for computer vision and machine learning.
Onix integrates graphics tools that make it possible to support apps with 2D and 3D digital content. We can also add supporting device features, such as a library of user's photos, battery life details or remote control.
Click on any of the skills on this page to read more about them.
- Native TechnologiesObjective-C, Swift, UIKit, Internationalization and Localization, Auto Layout, Storyboard, Multi-Touch gestures and Multithreading
- Social ConversationsTextMessages/iMessages/Phone/Mail, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google+, Yahoo ID, Tumblr and Foursquare/Swarm
- In-App PurchasePayPal, Uber, authorize.net, StoreKit Framework and MKStoreKit
- DistributingCrashlytics Beta, HockeyApp, TestFlight and BetaBuilder
- Media PlayerMedia Accessibility Framework, Accelerate Framework, Assets Library, Image I/O, Photos Framework and Text Kit and Core Text
- Maps and GeolocationApple Maps, Google Maps, Google Places, Geocoding, Mapbox, Core Location, eeGeo - 3D mapping and Foursquare Venues
- NetworkingP2P, Sockets, APNS - Push Notifications, StoreKit, RSS and Networking Frameworks (AFNetworking, RestKit, Alamofire, ADWebImage, Parse SDK)
- External HardwareiBeacon, Printing, Bluetooth, HomeKit, Wi-Fi and WatchKit
- AdvertisingiAd, MoPub, Nexage, Millenial, InMobi and GoogleAdMob
- DataCoreData, SQLite, Parse SDK, MAgical Record, User Defaults, XML, Plist, HTML5 Client-Slide Storage in Safari, Keychain and Key Archiving
- iOS Data AccessSharing data between apps, Contacts (address book), Photos and Videos on device, Calendar, Stocks and Reminders/Alerts
- VideoMedia Player Framewok, UIIMage Picker Controller, Media Player, Core Media, AV Foundation, GoPro and Video streaming (RTMP, RTSP, HLS, AirPlay)
- AudioOpenAL, AV Foundation, Core Audio, Media Player Framework and StreamingKit
- AnalyticsFlurry, Google Mobile Analytics and Crashlytics
- GraphicsUIKit graphics, Core Graphics, Core Image, Quartz, Core Animation, OpenGL ES, GLKit, SpriteKit, GPUImage and OpenCV